Reliability of the Rotapower Engine
HISTORIC RELIABILITY:Freedom Motors has 30 years testing of rotary engines.
- OMC rotary engines have accumulated over 4 million working hours.
- No OMC engine failures have been experienced due to engine design.
- The Rotapower engine uses bearings with improved life even with double
- The Rotapower engines use improved materials and technology throughout
- pre-production 450/530 and 650 series models have been tested for
over two years without a single design-caused failure.
EXPERIENTIAL RELIABILITY: The core technology pieces of the Rotapower
have logged thousands of hours in multiple applications.
EXPERIMENTAL RELIABILITY: The dyno testing of the Rotapower is consistent
with lab results from the OMC production dyno data.
- OMC found that 2 to 3 mils of wear per 100 hours run time in the
lab resulted in > 2000 hours TBO in the field.
- Rotapower seal wear rates are running 0.2-0.3 mils/100 hours experimentally.
ANECDOTAL RELIABILITY: Latest generation rotaries are amazingly reliable.
- High performance racing teams use dyno tested and sealed rotary engines
for multiple seasons without an overhaul (see the Bullet